In this blog post, find the best Korean moisturizer for oily skin complete with natural additions and powerful active ingredients.
Korean skincare is all the rage in the beauty world and it’s only growing in popularity.
Praised for its high-quality ingredients and amazing benefits, Korean skincare is a natural choice to target specific skin conditions. Today, I’m covering the best Korean moisturizers for oily skin.
As you may or may not know, oily skin can be caused by dehydrated skin, with its oil production working on overdrive! The good news? You can actually help reduce this excess oil by choosing the right moisturizer.
Enter – Korean skincare!
In this post, I’m sharing the very best Korean moisturizer for oily skin, along with an overall introduction to Korean skincare.
I’ve also included some helpful tips on how to choose a good moisturizer with ingredients that you should keep an eye out for.
So, without further ado, let’s start exploring the best Korean moisturizer for oily skin!
About Korean Skincare
Korean Skincare is often touted as some of the very best beauty products in the world.
How did they reach this following?
Korean beauty is incredibly loved for its commitment to lasting results. While some skincare may provide a temporary glow or deceiving results that fade after a few days, Korean skincare is built differently.
Products are formulated to provide permanent results, contributing to long-lasting skin health.
Korean skincare focuses on natural ingredients, innovative formulas, gentle treatments, and preventative measures.
It is also often personalized based on specific skin concerns without advertising a “one-size-fits-all” claim. Instead, different products tackle different skin types and conditions so that you can choose your best fit.
Mix this with the fact that Korean skincare is so hydration-focused – it only makes sense that those struggling with excess oil would turn to these products!
Qualities of a Good Moisturizer for Oily Skin
Oily skin types have very specific needs when it comes to moisturizers. Here are some general guidelines to follow when picking out new moisturizing skin care products:
- Non-comedogenic formula – Avoid ingredients with mineral oils or other pore-clogging ingredients that may cause breakouts. This is especially important for acne-prone skin. Find out more about the best facial for large pores.
- Quality hydration – Look for quality, hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid in the formula.
- Lightweight moisturizer – A lightweight formula will feel comfortable on your skin and avoid any greasy texture. Water and gel-based products feel the most comfortable.
- Balancing ingredients – Niacinamide can help regulate sebum production in the skin and reduce excess oil.
- Fragrance-free – A fragrance-free formula can prevent irritated skin, especially if it is both oily and sensitive.
- SPF – Sun damage can increase your skin’s oil production. Eliminate this risk while also protecting your skin from sun exposure with a moisturizer formulated with SPF.
Good Moisturizer Ingredients for Oily Skin
A good moisturizer always has a few key ingredients that are going to do the heavy lifting. When shopping, check ingredient lists for some of these moisturizing powerhouses.
If you’re intimidated by a few of these ingredients, you’re not alone! Follow this cheat sheet to help you make an informed purchase:
- Hyaluronic acid – This ingredient is ultra-hydrating without any heaviness.
- Niacinamide – Expect improved skin barrier function, reduced inflammation, and regulated sebum production.
- Antioxidants – Antioxidants like vitamin C, vitamin E, and niacinamide can reduce dark spots, increase moisture, and benefit overall skin health.
- Glycerin – A lightweight hydration that will improve your skin’s moisture balance.
- Ceramides – This refers to natural lipids in your skin that work to reduce inflammation and strengthen your skin’s moisture barrier.
- Dimethicone – A smoothing, non-greasy ingredient that can provide a matte texture to your skin.
- Salicylic acid – A powerful exfoliant that can help unclog pores, smooth skin texture, and prevent excess oil production.
Natural Ingredients for Oily Skin
- Centella Asiatica extract – This can benefit your skin by hydrating your skin, offering long-lasting moisture, and reducing inflammation.
- Green tea – An anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant that will soothe and protect the skin.
- Birch sap – This powerful ingredient contains 17 amino acids and will smooth, purify, and moisturize your skin.
- Aloe vera – A natural moisturizer that will soothe skin irritation.
- Tea tree oil – Soothing and moisturizing, this ingredient will reduce skin irritation on both dry and oily skin types. Tea tree oil is one of the best essential oils for lasting moisture.
- Snail mucin – Snail secretion filtrate has natural anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, which can help with scarring and inflammation while providing extra moisture.
The Best Korean Moisturizer for Oily Skin – 7 Wonderful Options
Ready to add a new moisturizer to your skincare routine? Discover the best Korean moisturizer for oily skin and your specific concerns.
# 1 Best Korean Moisturizer for Oily Skin
My first pick for the best Korean moisturizer for oily skin is the Plum Plump Hyaluronic Cream from Glow Recipe.
This gel cream product is perfect for all skin types, from oily to dry skin. I love the lightweight cream formula because it feels smooth and non-greasy on the skin for the most gorgeous glowing complexion.
It has a ton of great ingredients for ample moisture. Star additions include hyaluronic acid for bouncy and plump hydration and polyglutamic acid to increase its efficacy and lock in moisture.
Natural additions of plum and ice willowherb provide extra brightening, hydration, and balance to the skin.
If you find your skin is excessively dry, oily, or dull, or it’s losing its natural elasticity, this cream is a wonderful choice for your beauty routine.
Best of all, it’s also vegan and totally cruelty-free, so everyone can enjoy it!
#2 Best Korean Moisturizer for Oily Skin
The Green Tea Hyaluronic Acid Cream from Innisfree packs a major punch, complete with moisturizing ingredients that your skin will adore. In my opinion, anything with hyaluronic acid as its main ingredient is sure to be a great moisturizer.
This cream formula specifically targets dryness, uneven texture, and, of course, excess oil.
In the ingredients, you’ll be pleased to notice five different types of hyaluronic acid for a big moisture boost.
Green tea is another star ingredient, hydrating your skin while also improving its natural moisture barrier.
Finally, ceramide and squalene create a protective barrier over the skin for long-lasting moisture. You’ll notice the plumping effects and glowy finish of squalene immediately!
#3 Best Korean Moisturizer for Oily Skin
The True Cream Aqua Bomb from Belif includes a dreamy combination of moisturizing ingredients to suit all skin types.
If you’re noticing any dryness, dull skin, or uneven texture on top of your oily skin, this lightweight gel moisturizer could be your match.
Major ingredients include nurturing Lady’s Mantle, moisturizing glycerin, and moisture-retaining ceramide 3. When combined, these ingredients can take suffering skin and transform it into a healthy, glowing complexion.
Added antioxidants will also improve your skin’s elasticity for a more youthful appearance.
#4 Best Korean Moisturizer for Oily Skin
Coming from luxury brand Sulwhasoo, this Concentrated Ginseng Renewing Cream is one of the most well-loved Korean skincare products – ever!
Formulated for all skin types, this amazing concentrate will leave your skin as soft as silk, with visible firming and smoothing properties.
Ginseng peptides are, without a doubt, the most important ingredient in this cream product, offering age-defying properties that reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
For lifted, firm, and perfectly moisturized skin, I highly recommend you give this concentrate a try.
#5 Best Korean Moisturizer for Oily Skin
Perhaps one of the most well-known Korean skincare brands in North America, Laniege makes a brilliant Water Bank Blue Hyaluronic Cream Moisturizer that is perfect for oily skin types.
I love this product because it’s also suited for sensitive skin, which can be tricky to find, especially when working with powerful ingredients.
This lightweight cream formula is made to tackle dryness, uneven texture, and dull complexions.
The cream is made with blue hyaluronic acid (fermented with deep sea algae) that is reported to improve your skin’s natural moisture barrier and provide marathon-long moisture for up to one hundred hours!
Other hydrating ingredients include ceramide and squalene for an extra bit of nourishment.
#6 Best Korean Moisturizer for Oily Skin
The Ceramidin Cream from Dr. Jart+ is perfect for oily, dry, and combination skin types, so everyone can enjoy its moisturizing powers. It’s cushy, fast-absorbing, and not overly oily, making it especially nice for oily skin types.
This cream is formulated with five different ceramides to support your skin barrier, along with moisturizing panthenol and glycerin.
These active ingredients will make your skin super moist and bouncy, with a soft and supple texture.
I love these ingredients because they provide both immediate and long-term results, showing visible plumpness upon first application and lasting moisture through regular re-application.
#7 Best Korean Moisturizer for Oily Skin
The Rich Moist Soothing Cream from Dear, Klairs offers ultimate comfort to your skin, replenishing your complexion with several moisturizing ingredients.
A look at their ingredient list will highlight glycerin, aloe leaf extract, and rice bran extract for their moisturizing qualities.
The cream itself is rich without any greasy residue, so it’s suitable for all skin types, including the most sensitive complexions.
Use this soothing cream to balance your skin’s sebum production, improve your skin barrier, and receive 24-hour moisture.
What are the most popular Korean skincare brands?
There are several popular Korean skincare brands, some of which you’ll probably recognize from major beauty retailers.
Some of the most popular and well-loved Korean skincare brands include:
- Dr. Jart+ – Known for its dermatologist-created products and extremely popular color-correcting collection.
- Innisfree – An eco-friendly brand, Innisfree makes natural skincare with high-quality ingredients.
- Laneige – Laniege makes high-quality skincare that is popular amongst most major beauty retailers. You might recognize their Water Sleeping Mask or Lip Sleeping Mask.
- Sulwhasoo – This is a popular luxury brand that includes herbal, medicine-based ingredients in their products. The Concentrated Ginseng Renewing Cream is one of their most celebrated products.
- Cosrx – Known for their simple and effective formulas, Cosrx makes skincare specifically for acne-prone skin types.
Frequently Asked Questions
These are the questions that I get asked most about picking out the best Korean moisturizer for oily skin (along with a few skincare extras!).
What cleanser should you use for oily skin?
Once you’ve found the moisturizer of your dreams, you’ll need to pair it with an equally powerful cleanser to help keep your oily skin in check.
I recommend a cleanser with salicylic acid or glycolic acid, as they can both help with oil control, exfoliation, and clogged pores. If you are conscious about large pores, find out the best facial for large pores.
Some other key qualities to watch for include a gentle, hypoallergenic formula, non-comedogenic ingredients, and a gel or foam base.
Where can you purchase Korean skincare in North America?
Luckily, Korean skincare has reached such a high level of notoriety that you can find their most popular brands around the world.
In North America, you can purchase Korean skincare from Sephora, with brands like Laneige, Sulwhasoo and Dr. Jart+.
You can always order directly from brand websites, though depending on the brand, they may or may not ship to your home country.
Why is Korean skincare so popular?
Korean skincare products are incredibly popular because they produce amazing results!
From sheet masks to moisturizers, Korean skincare promotes youthful, moisturized, glowing skin that anyone would aspire to have.
You’ll also notice that Korean skincare is always at the forefront of new beneficial ingredients, with innovative formulas and unique ingredients. They take a preventative, holistic approach, addressing the root of your skin concerns and offering long-term solutions.
Beyond this, Korean skincare often comes at a more affordable price point, giving everyone access to high-quality skincare regardless of their budget.
Finally, Korean skincare products have extremely high efficacy rates with huge followings and positive reviews achieved through results alone.
Final Thoughts: The Best Korean Moisturizer for Oily Skin
I hope you’ve found this post useful in picking the best Korean moisturizer for your oily skin needs.
Though it may seem difficult to pick the best skincare, with a bit of knowledge and a few powerful ingredients, you can completely transform your skin.
The right moisturizer will balance your skin’s sebum production, repair your skin’s moisture barrier, and reduce excess oil production. If you choose to incorporate one of these Korean moisturizers into your skincare routine, I know that you’ll love the results!