In this post, I’m sharing my honest thoughts on self tanning lotion vs spray tanning. I’ve also included some of my favorite tanning products (and coupon codes!) for you to try.
While many of us love the sunny glow that a tan provides, UV light from any tanning bed or sunny day is harmful to our skin.
Luckily, we have sunless tanning solutions to help us achieve that perfect tan. Sunless tanners can give your entire body a faux glow, transforming pale skin into a sun-kissed canvas.
Achieving a gorgeous, streak free self tan is not without effort and there are several methods of self tanning available.
Today, I’m sharing my opinion of self tanning lotion vs spray tanning to help you decide which method is best for you.
Read on to learn all you need to know about self tanning.
If you’re interested in getting discounts on amazing sunless tanning products, I have a Coco and Eve coupon code for you later on!
Self Tanning Lotion vs Spray Tanning: Self Tanning
Self tanning lotion is an excellent way to achieve a full-body tan from the comfort of your own home. There are so many self tanning products available, you’ll have no problem finding your perfect self-tanner.
Here are a few pros and cons of the self tanning process:
Self Tanning Pros
- Can be achieved at home.
- Comes in a variety of formulas including self tanning mousse, lotion, and gel.
- Can look more natural than cosmetic bronzers.
- Maintenance is more convenient and inexpensive than spray tans.
- Gives you the perfect glow without any sun exposure (or damage!).
- There are options for all skin tones, from dark to fair skin.
Self Tanning Cons
- There is a learning curve to self tanning before you achieve perfect results.
- It can be hard to determine which self-tanner is best for your skin tone.
- Not all self-tanners are made the same; some will provide you with unnatural-looking tans!
- Self tanning equipment like brushes, mitts, and preserving lotions can be costly.
- Quality self-tanner tends to be more expensive.
- Self-tanner can irritate sensitive skin, particularly low-quality varieties.
Self Tanning Lotion vs Spray Tanning: Spray-Tanning
If you’re wanting to get into faux tanning but are not sure where to start, spray tanning is another great option.
You can achieve a natural-looking tan by visiting a spray-tan booth or a professional spray tanner. This process is fairly straightforward, usually involving a few different poses while the spray tan artist (or machine) does its work.
Here are a few notable pros and cons of spray tanning:
- You can get amazing results from a professional spray tan, with an even, flawless finish.
- A spray fake tan requires minimal effort; the work is done for you!
- You can try self tanning from home with a self tanning spray.
- A professional spray tan can last longer than an at-home self-tanner.
- It works on all skin tones.
- Can achieve a subtle or dark tan depending on your booking.
- Spray tanning is best done by a professional, not at home or by machine.
- A professional spray tan is more expensive than self tanning lotion.
- It takes more time to book and travel to and from your appointment.
- Spray tans often include ingredients to make the tan last longer; if you get a bad spray tan, you’ll be scrubbing it off for days!
Self Tanning Lotion vs Spray Tanning: My Opinion
In my opinion, I prefer self tanning lotion over spray tanning.
Self tanning is the best way for me to maintain my tan because it can be done at my own convenience, right at home, for a fraction of the price of a spray tan.
Spray tans also take too much time out of my day, eating up hours from booking the appointment, driving to and from, and getting the tan itself. I live in San Francisco so I find they are really overpriced compared to what I can do at home myself for much less.
This being said, both options are much better than laying out in the sun or using tanning beds to achieve darker skin. Based on your lifestyle, you may prefer spray tanning over self tanning! These are just my two cents.
My Favorite Self Tanning Products
I opt for at-home self tanning lotion vs spray tanning, using my favorite Coco and Eve products.
I’ve included links to my favorite self tanning lotions and accessories for you to try!
The best part? I have a Coco and Eve discount code for you! If you want to try out any of these products for yourself, use my Coco and Eve promo code below!
#1 Favorite Self Tanning Products
You can achieve the golden glow of your dreams with this full self tanning kit. It comes with a kabuki brush, applicator mitt, and self tanning body lotion for the full experience! The lotion is scentless and can be washed off after just a few hours.
#2 Favorite Self Tanning Products
This is the best self-tanner with a green-gray base that provides natural results. This gradual tanner is infused with amino acids and antioxidants to help firm skin. Plus, it comes in three colors so that you can choose your perfect shade!
As a reminder, my below Coco and Eve discount code works to save on all Coco and Eve products.
Tanning tip: Use an exfoliating brush in the shower the night before you tan, rubbing in circular motions to remove dead skin cells. The active ingredient in self-tanners clings to dry skin which can make your tan appear splotchy without this step. I’ve included my favorite body exfoliators below.
#3 Favorite Self Tanning Products
A tanning mitt helps with the application process, allowing you to apply your self-tan solution quickly and evenly. When applying fake tan with your hands, you’re asking for a streaky application and a week’s worth of stained fingers! This mitt will save you the trouble.
#4 Favorite Self Tanning Products
These bronzing face drops truly take your tan session to the next level. While self-tanner isn’t usually recommended for the face, these bronzing face drops are designed just for that!
Simply mix a few drops into your favorite moisturizer, apply, and wait for the gradual tan to do its work.
My above Coco and Eve promo code works for a discount off the bronzing face drops.
#5 Favorite Self Tanning Products
While self tanning is quite easy once you get the hang of it, there are always a few trouble spots that even the most experienced self-tanners struggle with. Your hands, feet, and face are particular trouble spots; they have harder-to-reach areas.
Plus, if you apply too much product, they will quickly look orange! Not the look we are going for. This bronzing brush fixes that, allowing you control and ease of application.
Coco and Eve Coupon Code
As I mentioned above, I have a Coco and Eve discount code. If you want to give any of these products a try, use my Coco and Eve coupon code below to save money off your purchase.
I hope you’ve found my thoughts on self tanning lotion vs spray tanning useful in deciding which faux tan is best for you.
Sign up below for my free email newsletter so you’ll be the first to hear about new beauty round ups, exclusive giveaways and more.
If you have any further questions about self tanning lotion, spray-tanning, or all things beauty, please reach out to me via Instagram or by email. I would love to help!